Recommended Reading for today: 1 Kings 11-12
Facts about Dan
- Was named after Jacob’s son Dan (Judges 18:29)
- The priest Jonathan established a shrine here.( Judges 18:30)
- When Israel split, Jeroboam ruled the Northern Kingdom (Israel), which included Dan.
- When he feared his people would go to Jerusalem to worship and possibly return to following Rehoboam (King of the Southern Kingdom, Judah) he made golden calf idols and told the people these gods brought them from the Land of Egypt. (1 Kings 12)
- Dan was the furthermost northern city of Israel, and Beersheba was the southern; hence the phrase “from Dan to Beersheba” meant to cover the whole country. (more…)